24″ x 18″ 140 lb. watercolor paper
This painting is loosely based on a photo I took. The flowers below the irises in the photo were yellow freesia so I changed them to daises. I did the drawing for this painting in pencil then decided to add pen and ink. Once I got started with the painting process, I realized, because of the dark colors, that the pen and ink weren’t really needed. I did about five or six layers for the blue of the irises. I initially intended to have the dark background fade to a lighter color as the eye moved to the upper-left; but the black background seemed to make all the flowers pop.