Category Archives: additional
My grandfather was an avid golfer right up to the end of his life. When he died, I was given his clubs primarily because I was left-handed just like he was. The set was made up of Ben Hogan autographed clubs. The woods are actually made of wood.
Gramp was a short, fair-haired Irishman with a dry sense of humor. He would have appreciated that I did a painting of his clubs and then sold it to another golfer.
The most time with this painting was spent painting the grass. I started with a light yellow-green and then progressed to darker and darker greens and finally a dark almost black green for the shadows.
This car was parked behind mine the other day so I took several pictures of it. I liked all the chrome and the high contrast. I painted with a limited pallet of indigo, raw sienna, cobalt blue, and turquoise blue.
Next I started successive layers of an indigo, Van Dyke brown and cerulean blue mix on the Buick body. In most areas i did 5-6 layers. Once the body color was done I began working on the back wheel and the inside of the car. My penultimate task was to paint in Gary’s Coffee shop in the background. The reference photo didn’t show this, but since I’m going to display this painting at Gary’s, I thought it would be a nice touch to show the shop in a painting.
Finally, to finish the painting, I softened edges, cleaned up lines, scratched in some details, and added another layer of paint to the body of the car.
It seems all my paintings have areas I don’t care for and others that I do like. This one is no exception. I struggled with the front wind shield. The reference photo was no help and I wanted to have some reflection. In the end, I gave up and left it alone. The parts I like best are the rear wheel area and the reflections in the back side window.
I had tried painting marbles before with limited success. I think it just takes some observing. In this painting I returned to my favorite color crayons and added the marbles and a long piece of string. I used automobile detailing tape that was 1/8 inch wide to mask off the string and then masking fluid to mask off all the crayons and marbles. I then proceeded to put a blue wash over the entire paper. After removing the tape and masking fluid, I masked off the reflections on the marbles and the light on the crayons. Finally, I started painting crayons and marbles adding numerous glazes to get the colors the right value and intensity. I removed the masking fluid from the marbles and crayons and spent several hours adding and darkening shadows. I may have overworked this a bit, but I am happy with the results.